Monday, April 20, 2020

Sifting through the noise From the bunker day 37

Sifting through the noise. From the Bunker Day 27

The kids are staying home. The Governor of Ohio said today that sending children back to school would create further discontinuity. Like the whole COVID-19 thing has created a lot of discontinuity. Let’s see, what else is in the news? Tomorrow’s wind could be strong enough to blow down power lines, and last Saturday we had five inches of snow (not). The news reporter said there was good news, only five COVID-19 related deaths today. I am sure she meant good news for the people who have not died. 

Listening to the news before the pandemic was hard enough, but now the unending litany of whose not doing enough and who isn’t doing anything is unbearable. All I want is mini goat videos. They make me laugh. I know, ignoring the problem won’t make it go away, and sticking your head in the sand only clogs up the ears. I bet, though, that many of us do the same thing when it comes to our spiritual lives.

“I have time tomorrow to read my Bible.”
“I’ll talk to my neighbor later; he is always home.”
“Yes, I will pray for you.” But you never get around to it,
“Finally I can sleep in on Sundays and not feel guilty. I can watch the sermon later.”
“I will write my blog later. I have until midnight.”

There are so many important things in the world that get in the way of our spiritual lives. Reminds me of what James wrote, “(ESV) 13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— 14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. 17 So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.” James 4:13-17.

The pandemic has made us slow down and take stock in what is truly important. Make a list of the people you need to talk to, resolve an issue with, or just to say, “hey, it’s been awhile.” A phone call only takes a few minutes.

Then read the first chapter of the book of Ephesians. You will learn about the blessings of God. The news is full of information. Some of it worthwhile and a lot of it worthless. The key is to filter it all through the lens of Scripture and allow the Spirit to sift through the static and show you the truth. Don’t let excuses get in the way of seeking first the Kingdom of God. I’m just saying.

From the Bunker Day 37. 

No comments:

Post a Comment