Monday, April 13, 2020

I’ve got to get out of here! From the Bunker Day 30


When you wake up in the morning
And can't seem to raise your head
You sit staring in the teacup
At the egg upon your bread
And the life that you are living
Doesn't seem to be quite real
You have only what the lonely call the blues 
—Donovan—

For some reason I remember that song from the ‘70s. Who knows where I heard it, but it stuck. Another Monday morning refrain is, “Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.” Today the two (rain and Monday) come together to make a most depressing day. There are a lot of factors that come together to cause depression. Here are a few (https://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/causes-depression#2).

·       Certain medications, ConflictDeath or a loss
·       GeneticsMajor eventsOther personal problem
·       Serious illnesses, Substance abuse

Though some Christians might say that depression is just sadness that you have to get over, I’m not one of them. I’ve been through depression and it is a pit that few can get out of on their own. During this time of “stay at home” depression can rear its ugly head, especially in those people who are not used to staying at. There are a few people in the Scripture who have been through depression (David, Jeremiah, and Job). David wrote poetry, Jeremiah complained, and Job had friends to talk to. However they had one thing in common, they spent alot of time in prayer talking to God. Ultimately the only way out of depression is hope, and Jesus offers that in abundance. 

1 Peter 5:7 “Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.”

Philippians 4:6  “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”

Jesus says not to be anxious about the defense ourselves (Luke 12:11), our food (Luke 12:22), and our lives (Luke 12:25) because we have little control over them. Trust in the Father and he will care for you.

The ease at which you overcome depression will be determined by the cause (what you need to deal with it) and the time you spend with God. Remember, you are not alone. Find someone to help and I promise there is hope on the other side. I am reminded of the lyrics to another song.

Disappointment - His appointment, Change one letter, then I see
That the thwarting of my purpose, Is God's better choice for me.
His appointment must be blessing, Though it may come in disguise
For the end from the beginning, Open to His wisdom lies. 

Disappointment - His appointment, Whose? The Lord's who loves best.
Understands and knows me fully, Who my faith and love would test.
For like loving, earthy parent, He rejoices when He knows
That His child accepts unquestioned, All that from His wisdom flows.

Disappointment - His appointment, No good thing will he withhold
From denials oft we gather, Treasures from His love untold.
Well, He knows each broken purpose, Leads to fuller deeper trust
And the end of all His dealings, Proves our God is wise and just.

Disappointment - His appointment, Lord I take it then as such,
Like the clay in hands of potter, Yielding wholly to Thy touch
All my life's plan is Thy molding, Not one single choice be mine
Let me answer unrepining, Father not my will but Thine.
Phil Keaggy

The truth is that God takes our disappointment, our depression, and our anxieties will help us through our time of need. By the way, when the weather turns good, go take a walk with someone. I’m just saying.

From the Bunker Day 30

-->
For help contact me at pperkins@sjm.church

No comments:

Post a Comment