Friday, October 19, 2018

Why I Write, It Helps

There are moments where I am just paralyzed. I sit staring at my iPad, or find myself looking off into the distance. Focus is my problem. My mind wanders and when it does it seems to fall back to thinking about my friend Dan. I spent some time with his body yesterday. It was surreal. He looked peaceful, and I know he is, but I couldn’t help think about my own brothers, especially my oldest, John. He is about the same age as Dan, but Dan has been more of a brother to me, even though I have only known him for two years. The common faith that Dan and I have, and the mutual love for Jesus trumps all other common bonds. At the same time, I know Dan would want me to take every opportunity to share the gospel and trust The Father for their salvation. 

Writing these thoughts helps me to process my feelings, to understand why Dan’s death has hit me so hard. But that’s Dan. If I thought it possible Dan would be sitting down with angels helping them develop some sort of plan. I also think he is a tad disappointed because there are no marriages in heaven to mentor. I am sure the Father has him working on some of the rooms we will be needing when we arrive. Ladders aren’t a problem anymore. But all of this aside, death is always a time to stop and take stock of our own lives. What are we doing? Who and what are we living for?

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

Guess who is part of that great cloud of witnesses? Dan is Cheering us on, just like he did when he was with us. He was my “John the Baptist.” But Dan is not my focus, Jesus is, and that’s how we cope with the loss of family and friends. We grieve, but with hope, and ours is in the Lord. So, we look past the sorrow, past the grief, past the vacant spot to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. 

Jesus’ death brought grief, but his resurrection brought victory. For this reason we hope and find peace. For this reason our sorrow is but for a moment. If we focus on anyone other than Jesus, the sorrow becomes overwhelming and paralyzing. The darkness will push out the light. But Jesus is the light and life, and in him there is life, now and forever. I write these things to help me focus on Jesus, and that’s what Dan would want. I’m just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment