Saturday, October 6, 2018

Upside down smile and a Furrowed Brow

There are so many things that I want to do. The other day I  said my bucket list was empty, I had done it all. Then I thought, “that’s crazy, if I’ve done it all, then there is nothing left to live for. I started filling my buck up again. Here are the top five on my list:


  1. I want to go to Israel.
  2. I want to go to Rome.
  3. I want to go to Morocco.
  4. I want to perform my grandchildren’s weddings (that might be considered more than one).
  5. I want to do all this with Rebecca.


There are times I will set out to do something and Rebecca will ask, “why? And I will reply, “that’s the wrong question, the real question is. ‘why not!’ Life is serious, there are so many things that need to be done. Bills need to be paid, children need to be raised, houses need to be cared for, and disciples need to be made. I want to throw up my hands and yell, let’s laugh and play and frolick all day (see how I made that rhyme?). But that’s not the way of the world. Too many serious things happening around the us, and the upside down smile and furrowed brow scold us back into our proper place. Jesus said,

“The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.” Matt. 11:19.

I think Jesus enjoyed life. Yes, there was a very serious side of him, but he could enjoy a good wedding, or party. I am sure I come off as a little globe for some, but there is a serious side to me as well. It wants to jump out and put a furrow on my brow and shake my finger at everyone. We need to make disciples, of course, but can’t we have fun along the way. I’m just saying...



No comments:

Post a Comment