Monday, January 21, 2019

That I May See Wondrous Things

Open my eyes, that I may behold

wondrous things out of your law.

I am a sojourner on the earth;

hide not your commandments from me! Psalm 119:18


This past weekend was wondrous. I love a good storm, and a good snow storm was even better. The digging out wasn’t so much fun, but the new, soft snow fall was magnificent. Fortunately, we watched it from the cozy confines of our home, around a fire, with the idealic picture of our dog laying in front of the fireplace. The whole thing was wondrous. The beauty of the snow, the power of the wind all spoke of God’s wondrous nature, creativity, and grace.


By nature we long to see the wondrous things of God, His power in Creation and His power to transform lives. We want to see people healed, really healed, and their spirits transformed from darkness and into the light. Yet, when the Psalmist asks for open eyes, he longs for something different, something I wouldn’t have asked for. He wanted to see the wondrous things in the law of God (the Bible). Why? What could be on its pages that would rival the wonders of the universe, the complexity of the human brain, the beauty of a new born, or the delicacy of a butterfly wing?


Behold, I long for your precepts;

in your righteousness give me life! 

Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord,

your salvation according to your promise; (Psalm 119:40,41)


In His Word there is life, love, salvation, and promise. In His Word we know God. In His Word we know His Son. In His Word we know that we are His children by faith. In His Word we know that we are one Family, united together in one Faith, through one Spirit. In His Word we know that he will return and take us home. There is nothing more wondrous than this, the name of Jesus. Open my eyes, Lord, that I may behold the wondrous things of your law. I’m just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment