Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Happy New Year Flu

No matter what you try to do,  there is something about a sin infested world that fights against being healthy and happy. Off to the doctor who prescribes more medication to fight the symptoms, but is never the cure. Cure to a healthier lifestyle comes with its own set of difficulties and pain. That’s why I am determined NOT to make New Year resolutions. They are prescriptions for failure. However, I have set out two non resolutions: 1. Eat less, 2. Walk more. That’s pretty vague (especially eating less). I could eat less donuts and still not feel bettter. Maybe I should include a number 3 — eat more healthy, but we don’t want to get crazy.

Sin is much the same. It is bent on making us miserable. It’s sole purpose is to move us away from God and an empty, lifeless existence. We don’t like the sin, and we try so many things to make us feel better, but none of them are the cure. Do this, stop that, and everything will be better, different, less destructive. Too often, our attempts are to alleviate the pain, but not to restore our relationship with God. Only a relationship with God will give us the type of life we hunger for, but we have starved so long that we don’t know what good food really taste like. John Piper said, “we are most satisfied when God is most glorified.” The cure is God’s glorification. It doesn’t start with us, but with the God who saves us. When we seek God’s will, no matter how difficult it seems, in the end we will be most satisfied.

For now, my gut hurts, my body aches, and the cure is allowing my body to fight off the flu. The medications will cover the symptoms as I await the cure, until then pass a tissue. I’m just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment