Monday, December 3, 2018

A Life Time



I wrote this during a time that I was question everything, and the gentle voice of God spoke clearly?



I have spent a lifetime learning Teaching others what I know
 Dispensing wisdom freely As if certain of what I speak
Words are easily spoken Rolling off the tongue freely
But without POWER
They are empty-vain-vapor in the air
Yet, with all the syllables that Have passed through these lips
 How have they changed a life?
Or impacted the world for the Kingdom?
I have spent a lifetime pursuing

A fleeting sense of glory 
Without understanding a simple truth 
That sustains us in the darkness
In prosperity it is easy
To raise our voice in hallelujahs 
Thanking God for blessings that
 Feign contentment and satisfaction
But when the winds blow 
When the storms of life create havoc 
The blessings that we gladly receive 
Are obscured behind pains darkness
It is easy, then, to forget
From whom the good things come 
To blame the giver of life
And wonder why He has withdrawn
All the wisdom once dispensed
 Ring hallow when spoken by others 
For surely my contribution given
 Is worth more then this darkness?

Forgotten, not, in the storm 
Though emotions wind blows 
He wraps a gentle arm around 
Protecting the hearts that are His
I must stop talking
I must look, listen, stand silent
I must see the blessings
I must stand in awe of His loving hand
And what simple truth stands
 As a beacon in the darkness 

What promise given to His children 
That brings hope in the silence
Emmanuel -- God with us
 God with us in the storm 
God with us in the silence
 God with us in the darkness

His blessings do not cease 
They come in unexpected ways
 His voice is not silent
He speaks in unmistakable tones
His care has not turned cold
A gentle touch is given by a friend 
His love is not diminished
It deepens with deeper knowledge
God is with us

Now the seal of the Spirit God is in us
A heart of stone now flesh
How does this truth profound 
Change the darkness of the moment 
How does God with us - in us
 Change the cloud I am in?

No promise has been given
Of paths without stones
Some pebbles, some rocks, some boulders
 Each path is laden with obstacles
Two things remain sure In this life that is ours
 It is full of obstacles 
And we are not alone
Whatever lies within our path— God is with us
 Whatever direction that is new —God is with us

In the darkness a light shines 
That we might see the obstacles 
That we might be aware 
That we might not be frightened
God with us Who can be against us
 God with us Peace is ours
In the darkness there is light 
On the path there is guidance
 In the storm there is peace 
In want there is contentment
I may not be what I once was
I may not have what I once possessed
 I may not see the future as clearly
I don’t stand as sure as before

Yet in it all 
Through it all
 Because of it all
 God is with us


During the Christmas season, remembering that, no matter what, God is with is an important truth to remember, more than ever.  I can’t count the times this simple truth has kept me from walking away. I’m just saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment