Wednesday, November 28, 2018

(Backup) Gratitude Schmatitude — What’s The Big Deal

Ever since I was a little kid, my mom would remind me, “Paul, say please and thank you.” I can understand the please, it’s a requisite to getting something. But the “thank you” part seems unnecessary. Why should I say thank you for someone doing their job, for a mother’s love, or for a polite gesture from a complete stranger, for that matter. I didn’t ask them to open the door. I mean, if they did it for the response, then where is the ultruism in the act? It’s not that I think I am entitled to the goodness of others, it’s just that the goodness should be displayed regardless of a thank you. 

My mother complained to me one time that my brother didn’t appreciate all that she had done for him. “If only he would say thank you. Is that too much to ask?” I told here if his ingratitude bothered her so much, then maybe she should stop giving to him, or doing so much for him. It’s much easier to complain about others ingratitude than to own up to the fact that it is the comments of appreciation that are coveted. 

Gratitude is an expression of appreciation for an act of kindness shown by someone else. The greater the act of kindness the greater the expression of gratitude. Gratuity that we pay at restaurants is a prime example. Often the reciept will give suggested options (I’ve never seen one under ten percent). The greater the service, kindness, and promptness impacts the rate of which I pay in gratitude. It’s the same way in life, and in our spiritual lives as well.

Maybe that’s why the Bible talks a lot about Gratitude. Imagine standing at your window, watching the snow blow gently across your lawn. How marvelous to know that it wasn’t a mistake, that God works all things together for good. Each morning is a gift for which we should express gratitude. Each breath is a gift for which we should give thanks. When all the mornings and all the breaths are taken away, may our hearts take flight for the greatest of loves, and our tongue confess gratitude for His glory above.

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit”1 Thess. 5:16b-19.

Gratitude is God’s will. Gratitude opens the door for the Spirit to work. Gratitude is on-going and in EVERY situation. Gratitude is the borromotor of our spiritual health. So today I would like to express my gratitude:

For the saving love of Jesus, and the life giving Spirit that dwells in me.
For my wife, who is the living example of Christ’s love in my life.
For my children, daughter-in-laws, grandchildren, and Abrar (my Bahraini daughter) who are the joy of my life.
For a church family (warts and all) who is willing to walk through this messy life together, offering grace, expressing love, and chastising when appropriate.
For the means to live comfortably and to bless others when needed.
The freedom of liberty that our country enjoys by the grace of God.

There is much more that I will express in the privacy of my prayer, but for now I want to say thank you, to you, for what you mean to me. I’m just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment