Monday, June 30, 2014

Memories Light The Cornesr Of My Mind

"Therefore remember...remember that you were at that time separated from Christ," Ephesians 2:11,12

Memories are an interesting phenomena. They are imprints of emotionally charged events of the past. Strong emotions like anger, hurt, pain, as well as joy, excitement, and ecstasy create the most intense memories.

Time wears down memories and we suppress and forget bad ones, and our propensity for hope colors even the good ones to make them better then they really were. 

Some of my fondest memories are traveling with my family, the dog packed in ceiling high luggage, kids scrunched together, camping on the beach, and staying in hotel rooms. I vividly remember kindergarten, fourth, fifth, seventh and eighth grade. At least the fun times.

My best memories have been since following Jesus, and my new life in Christ shapes the way I remember the past, and the memories that I retain. Pain is redeemed and forgiven. Joy in the world more clearly understood. 

The scripture continually tells us to remember the past, the way we once were, so that we can appreciate the work of God in us. When we forget where we have been, we can develop an entitlement mentally; I deserve what God has done. When I remember where I have come from and where I would be without Christ, I am amazed at all that Christ has accomplished in my life. It also gives me hope, that he is still working in me, refining me, smoothing the rough edges, forgiving my daily sins, and conforming day by day into the image of His son. I'm just saying...


No comments:

Post a Comment