Monday, June 23, 2014

I Am A But Man

I hope I don't offend anyone, however, I am a but guy. I love them, because every time I see one I know something is going to happen. Let me give you a couple of examples.

1. The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him.

2. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. ’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

3. You were by nature objects of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because if his great love.

Buts introduce contrast, sometimes they have a good result and sometimes a negative one, BUT they are always exciting.

We were objects of God's wrath, but God in his mercy and love does something about it. The Apostle lures us in with our fated condition and when there is no hope sets in front of us a contrast. 

You have no hope BUT God hasn't left you alone!

We deserved wrath BUT God has mercy!
We deserve condemnation BUT God has love!
We deserve judgment BUT God has compassion!
We are in sin without hope in the world BUT God sent His Son!

There are other contrasts that aren't as pretty. 

You strut in your pride BUT God will bring you low.
You think you are self sufficient BUT God will call you to account.
You chose to live in sin BUT God's wrath rests on the wicked.
You want to slide by BUT God's standard is holiness. 

Like I said, I am a but man. They point out our deficiencies and point us to the remedy. They provide contrast between the good and bad, the positive and negative, and the best and better.  I could have chosen any word to talk about today, BUT I chose this one. I'm just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment