Saturday, March 28, 2020

It’s not just about the virus From the bunker Day #14


I am a cynic by nature, you would think I was born in Missouri. So when all the media hype began to hyperdrive across the airwaves, I have been somewhat skeptical. Washing my hands every time I touched something from the outside world has seemed to me to be over the top. “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!” But those pesky torpedos can blow up a ship.

They said from the start it wouldn’t be long before everyone knows someone who is positive or has a relative who is infected. The prediction has come true, at least for our family at St. John, a relative of a member is positive. Its surreal when you hear the news. “It must be something else. Surely they couldn’t have it.” The steady updates proved it to be true. Then it becomes real. Our family is in need and there is very little we can do, so we pray and put our trust in the Lord.

 It’s not just about the virus. We have family members that are on dialysis, recovering from surgery, and waiting for other medical news. We have heads of homes without jobs, single moms struggling to make ends meet, and parents struggling (not just because of school closures) with undisciplined kids, and elderly who were homebound before the quarantine.

And you know what, we have been caring for one another. Like the Apostle Paul said, “For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.” Philemon 1:7. Whenever I talk with some from St. John I hear a story of how we have been caring, praying, and supporting each other. As a Pastor that warms my heart.

The caring doesn’t stop does it. Needs still must be met, people still need the power of prayer, and the body of Christ is the best place for it to happen. Continue to pray for the recovery of Corona victims, but let’s remember to meet the other needs as well. 

If you are able you can give to the benevolence fund, or you can write a check directly to the person in need, which ever is most efficient for you. You guys are awesome! I’m just saying.

From the bunker Day #14

No comments:

Post a Comment