Thursday, April 18, 2019

Look At Those Puppy Eyes

I keep promising Porthos that I will take him for a walk. I'm telling you that the dog knows what I saying. As soon as I come home, he is waiting at the door with those happy, expectant eyes. If I don't take him for a walk, he will go slump between the coffee table and the couch. It is truly a sad moment. It nearly makes me feel guilty enough to take him. I can think of every excuse under the sun; it's going to rain, its too cold, its too hot, I have other things to get done, and I don't want to get sweaty. Exercise has never been one of my strong points. I have a lot of ”want to”, but very little ”will to”. One of my favorite versus is: 

7 Train yourself for godliness; 8 for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:7,8.

There you have it; exercise has temporal value while my practice of godliness has eternal value. I have learned that at 60 it takes a lot more discipline to out exercise my bad habits (which is not Rebecca's fault. She cooks healthy meals. It's the in-between stuff and a slower metabolism). The reality is that I should step up in the physical exercise without compromising the practice of godliness.

However, we live in a culture that spends an enormous amount of money and time on exercise, health and well-being, and very little time on godly character and behavior. Of course, if I had to choose between the two, I would choose the practice of godliness over physical exercise. The reward is much greater. 

If it's not raining, I think I will take Porthos for a walk. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment