Sunday, July 7, 2019

America and Apple Pie, I love them Both

I love apple pie. Especially, when it is slightly tart, and the crust is ever so flaky. But do you know when I don’t like apple pie? When the apples are mealy, or the crust is burnt or soggy. Just because I like Apple Pie doesn’t mean I like it all the time. There are good pies and bad pies, and pies where people will even disagree on whether it is good or not. Yet, when I come home and Rebecca is baking an apple pie, I don’t look back on all the pies gone bad. Instead I focus in the hope that is soon to come out of the oven.

The United States is a lot like apple pie. There are times when it is the the next thing to heaven, and times when hell lashes out in a chaotic storm. There are things I don’t like about the United States and things that I love. I love the sweet taste of freedom. The freedom of speech, the freedom of assembly, the freedom of religion, and the freedom to be who I want to be without repercussion. There are, however, things I don’t like, that come along with freedom. I don’t like the bickering of politics, or the intolerance of tolerance. I don’t like the atrocities of our past, or the blaming of everything on them. I don’t like prejudice or hatred, and I surely don’t like the entitlement system it has become. Yet, each morning I don’t look at the things that are tasteless, spoiled, or burnt, instead I focus on the hope of what the day will bring.  And here comes the tricky part. I love the United States like I love Apple Pie, but I don’t love the United States like I love my family.

Jesus said, “(ESV) “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.” Matthew 6:24. In the context it’s a contrast between money and God, but the principle is the same. We cannot hold God in our heart and hold anything else at the same time, and since the family of God, in Christ, is an extension of Jesus and is described as his body, then to love the people of God is the same as loving God Himself. There is but one kingdom that we, as believers, can pledge our total and absolute loyalty, and that is the kingdom of God. Can, or should, Christians in The United States be patriotic?  My answer is yes and no. 

I was flipping through Facebook and saw several memes that extolled the virtue of the military against the back drop of many self induced tragedies. Memes aren’t meant to explore the depth of a topic, but highlight actual or perceived inequalities. I teared up as I thought of the men and women who have sacrificed life and limb to keep the U.S. safe and free. I am proud to have been born and raised here, a father who was in the military, and friends who have served faithfully. I believe, with all her faults, the U.S is still the greatest nation and place to live in the world (and I have traveled to many other places). Yes, we can list our faults, we can wail about what we can’t change, but as slow as it moves the U.S. is still the first choice of immigrants; legal and illegal.

However, but, on the other hand, when push comes to shove I am beholden to no country or king, but our Lord Jesus. My brothers and sisters in Christ come before borders, nationalism, and patriotism. That goes for the ones who are persecuted around the world, and the ones who might try to come across our borders illegally. There is great tension when we mix politics and faith, and I have good friends who are right in the middle. Knowing these men it’s there right and their calling. They too must wrestle with the conflict. I don’t believe the church is a place for political wrangling, because the Kingdom of God welcomes all political, economic, ethnic, cultural, and national peoples. When we reject people for any reason, we have ceased being the Kingdom of God and have placed something or someone else as our King. 

So, I went to the fireworks and celebrated our country’s beginning. I thank my friends who have served in the military, but To my brothers and sisters around the world, I stand with you in the cause of  Christ, so that we can bring about the kingdom of God on earth. Then and only then, will we know what true freedom is all about. I’m just saying.,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment