Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Weddings and Babies

It is a fact of life that as you grow older time begins to stand still. That is, I don’t feel as if I am any older. It isn’t until I look in the mirror that I realize how the years have worn on me (that and the creek in my knees when I stand up). The passage of time, then, is measured not in how old I think I am but in the changes that occur in those around me; specifically my children. You have heard the expression, “They grow up so fast!” It’s true, but what makes you feel even older is when you are saying that about your grandchildren, and for some reason when you become a grandparent you look at children so much differently, but I digress.
This past week has been a joyous time as Steve, my middle son, proposed to his girlfriend, Jen. What is interesting is not that Steve was excited about proposing or Jen was excited about accepting, but that we as parents were thrilled with the whole idea in the first place. What is it about parents that we become as exhilarated as our children in the prospects of their betrothal? Is it because he will now be financially on his own (sorry son)? Is it that we can check off our to-do list “Child raised”? Or is it that somewhere down the line we will get a grandchild and carry on the Perkins legacy? For me I think it is because I know what it is to have enjoyed a loving relationship with my wife for over 30 years and look forward to seeing that kind of joy experienced by my son. I think it is because God has created us for this and the thought of seeing my son experience all that God has for him is a time of celebration. Plus, I like cake.

Another milestone of age progression is the fantastic news that my oldest Son and wife are having another baby! That’s right number two. Once again as we heard the news Rebecca squealed and I felt very proud (as if I had done something wonderful). It’s not that my granddaughter Eva is taking a back seat because I am always thrilled to visit with her on Skype, there is just something awesome about a new life coming into the world that makes grandparents turn to putty and show off pictures to people they don’t even know (not caring whether the people are interested or not). I don’t know about Rebecca but I am as intrigued, if not more so, with my granddaughter as I was with my own children (maybe it’s the age thing again and I just don’t remember). Again the question is begged, why? Is it because I get to adore, enjoy, and spoil without the repercussions? Is it because the Perkins name will be carried into the next generation? Or is it because this is what we have been created for, to reproduce the image of God for further generations; to raise up another generation of worshipers for our God?

The years have been good to Rebecca and I, and though my skin is dryer, I have more wrinkles, and my hair grayer I wouldn’t trade the past for the present for anything. The blessings that God has given us in our children, daughter-in-laws, and grandchildren bring us greater joy today than ever before. I still love to hold my wife’s hand and cuddle next to her on a cold night, but now I get to do it with the knowledge of God’s blessings on us and our family. I am content!

Ok David, Your up☺

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I like reading your perspective. May God grant you many more additions to your family :)

    ReplyDelete