Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Disconnected

Modern technology is such a wonderful thing. You never know how much you use or need something until you don’t have it anymore. This past weekend I was working on my computer and closed it without turning it off. When I came back and opened the screen it didn’t come on. I did all the things that one does to a computer that won’t start; I checked the plug, the battery, and pressed the button 100 times thinking that the next push will certainly start my faithful computer—to no avail.
When it comes to a laptop there is nothing worse then one that won’t work. I drove from Aledo to Davenport on Saturday to see if the Nerd Herd could fix it only to find out that all they can do is send it to Apple and hope for the best. I told them I had a warranty but they weren’t an official Apple repair site and couldn’t help me. They did, however, refer me to Computer Evolution – they were certified. Hope at last – but not long lived. When we pulled up the bold OPEN sign was ominously dark, and just because it was New Years Day they were closed. Didn’t they know how serious the emergency was!

Two whole days I had to wait. Fortunately there were enough outside activities to keep me occupied, one being the trouncing the Packers gave the Bears on Sunday (had to mention that). Finally, Monday arrived and I drove all the way back to Davenport. The repairman tried to start it but his pushing the button didn’t result in any different affect. He said, “if you don’t have a warranty you might as well just replace the computer.” As he played with his computer he finally said, “Yes, your warranty is still good.” “Fantastic, when can you have it fixed?” “There are some Apple computers before yours, but 2 to 3 days when we get to it.” My Adam’s Apple must have been visible as I gulped.

So, today has been a rough day. I had to do everything by hand. I had to write with a pen, I had to do searches by flipping through books, and I had to go find a computer to send some emails out in order to communicate with my congregation. I still have a cramp.

When the phone rang I didn’t recognize the area code and let it go to voice mail, but I thought, “what if it were the Apple repair store.” I quickly listened to my mail—and it was!!!! My computer was fixed. Fortunately my son and his girlfriend were going to Davenport for dinner and they graciously said they would pick it up. I had a meeting last night and didn’t get to see my computer until I got home. It rests warmly on my lap as I type this blog like an old friend.

Being disconnected has been good because it has allowed me to appreciate the wonderful tool that my computer is and all that I can accomplish with it. One of the women in the church said it was good for me to be disconnected for a while and she was right. So once I finish this I will turn it off and give it a rest and spend the rest of the evening disconnected – maybe I will even read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment