Sunday, February 17, 2019

Old Friend, father of my faith

Larry Pritchet got in touch with me the other day. I know, the name doesn’t mean anything to you, but for me it is rich with memory and fondness. I called him, as she asked, and the first thing he said was, “Paul I remember you as that 16 year old kid who came into my office and asked how he could be saved. From there you became a leader in the youth group.” We reminisced for a while, caught up with family. He had followed my ministry carrier over the years. Lary has just retired.

Humility and loving is how I remember him. He never raised his voice and patiently listened as I came up with some new idea for the youth group. He didn’t accept every idea but he did a few, and one in particularhe supported  financially. I trained and traveled with junior high students as a puppet troupe. I don’t remember being officially “discipled” by him, but the weekly bible studies in youth group, and the gentle encouragement to minister and reach out was effective with me. He was in charge of youth as the Associate Pastor, a Youth Pastor before there was such a thing.

The Apostle Paul wrote, “You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also,” (2 Tim. 2:1,2).  Leadership is about seeing the potential in others and passing on to them what Christ has passed in to us. Larry did this faithfully throughout his ministry career, and he won’t rest until he is in the arms of his savior.

Now it is my turn to pass the batton, and over the years I have attempted to just that.  The work isn’t over, there are still men and women with potential to move mountains. I’m looking for just a few who are looking to move, through the power of the Spirit, the hearts of men. I’m looking for fishers of men. It won’t be easy,  it it will be meaningful. Pray with me, for faithful men.  I’m just saying..

No comments:

Post a Comment