Monday, May 23, 2011

I Don’t Have To Explain Myself

Christians always seem to be on the defensive. I wonder if that is why we call the defense of our faith “Apologetics”. We seem to be apologizing for what we believe so as not to offend anyone. Well, today I am here to say, “I don’t have to explain myself!”

I am not being arrogant, but in the end, whether I convince someone of the truth or not, my faith and the reality of God doesn’t change. If I am not articulate enough or smart enough to sway the minds of those who stand defiantly against God the loss isn’t mine. There are plenty of logical and philosophical reasons to believe in God. There are ample examples of design in creation to point to a powerful, just, and loving Creator. There are even personal examples of transformed lives, miracles, and healings that give pause to the most ardent unbeliever.
In the end this is true:

Living He loved me
Dying He saved me
Buried He carried my sins far away!
Rising He justified, clearly forever
One day He’s coming…Oh! Glorious Day!

Today I rise knowing my redeemer lives! I will live my life as a reflection of His grace, care for others, laugh and cry, hope and dream, love and be loved all for the praise of His glory. There will be people who will scratch their heads and wonder. Others will say I am crazy. Still others will mock me and call me foolish for believing in someone I cannot see. But that’s Ok! I don’t owe them an explanation (though I will give one if they are interested). I don’t have to prove to them that God exists (though there is ample evidence). I don’t have to apologize if they feel uncomfortable or offended if I carry my bible, pray in public, or wear a cross.

I pray that those who don’t know Jesus will come to Him and accept freely the gift of Life, abundantly now and eternally after death. I pray that those who are hurting will find peace and comfort in the arms of a loving heavenly Father. I pray that the deepest longings of their hearts will find satisfaction in the God who has created them for immeasurably more. At the end of the day, however, I am not responsible for their choices and won’t apologize for mine.

In trying to explain the inexplicable too many have given in to the temptation and compromise the character of God. As Paul says in Romans 9:20, “who are you, O man, who answers back to God?” This may seem a copout to the doubter but that’s not my problem, it’s his. And again in 9:33, “Behold, I lay in Zion a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense, and he who believes in Him will not be disappointed.”

My hope is that many people will believe and find that God doesn’t disappoint His children. But until then the message of the gospel is foolishness and a stumbling block to the world, and my only responsibility is to point them in the right direction. They have to chose which way they want to walk. I’m just saying……..

No comments:

Post a Comment