Monday, May 2, 2011

Ben Laden Killed -- United States Rejoices

Make no mistake the death of Osama Ben Laden is a victory for the United States in its war on terrorism. The atrocities that Ben Laden perpetrated against the people of the United States and the collateral deaths of people from other nations is deserving of capture and death. From one end of the country to the other the national anthem is being sung, flags are waving, and people are shouting in the streets. So why do I feel hollow?

I remember where I was when the twin towers fell. I was in the church office in Manitowoc, WI. We watched with horror and almost disbelief as planes flew into the Twin Towers and people fell to their deaths. The stunned silence swelled to anger as we heard the reports of the other planes and more deaths. We stood in solidarity with the President and his call to bring those responsible to justice. Few questioned the wisdom of going to war and ferreting out the cowards who hid in caves and exploded innocent people to further their cause.

I remember standing with a group of men who cheered the first bombs that fell on Baghdad and the call for the lives of those who oppress the weak. I remember the friends who went to war and came back and returned because they believed in the rightness of their mission. I remember the resolve of the nation wane as the American body count rose and the years passed by. I remember when Saddam Hussein was captured and hung and no one mourned his loss. I remember how hard it is to recall why we went to war in the first place and hoped for the return of our soldiers. I remember the words of a friend last night who said, "My heart is sad for the soul of Ben Laden."

As I reflect on this I am well aware that God brings the wicked to justice, but I also know the deep love and compassion of God's heart when He says, "Do I have any pleasure in the death of the wicked" declares the Lord, "Rather that he should turn from his sin and live." Ez 18:23

Is it wrong to celebrate a victory? On one level no, but let us never take pleasure in the death of the wicked. Instead let us redouble our efforts to bring the good news. It is in the truth of the gospel where people will be turned from darkness. It is through the blood of Christ that wicked men are changed. It is better that they turn from their sin and live. I am just saying.....

No comments:

Post a Comment