Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Hey! It’s Family

Being a child of God and belonging to his family is the most satisfying and infuriating relationships I have ever encountered. In the book, the storm-tossed family the author writes that children are both humbling and humiliating, in other words in one moment their humbling because of the privilege God gives parents to raise such precious creatures. They are humiliating because at any moment, in public, they can reduce you to tears.

In my book my dysfunctional love affair with the church I talk about how the local church has hurt me, and yet, I am inexplicably drawn to her because she is the bride of Christ. I hear on occasion that someone has been hurt by the church and they are thinking of leaving. I get it, relationships are hard, family can be cruel, and it is easier to leave than to reconcile. We can treat one another with such kindness and then turn around tear into one another, humble and humiliation. No, it shouldn’t be this way, but to ignore it and run from it changes nothing. What if we chose a different path?

”1 See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are…The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil…10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil…whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.” 1 John 3:1,8b, 10.

The greatest damage Satan can cause is to tear apart the family of God. But in Christ, the devil is defeated, and in victory, we have the power to love one another. Have you hurt a brother/sister in the church? Intentional or not, go and reconcile. Have you been hurt? Sure, you shouldn’t have to be the one to take the first step, but do it anyway. Swallow your own pride and reconcile with your brother/sister or leadership. 

Our love for one another is evidence that we are practicing righteousness. Don’t be deceived, you cannot be mature or grow in Christ if you do not have love for one another. I know, I’ve been there, and I am telling you, there is nothing sweeter than a relationship mended. I’m just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment