Saturday, September 13, 2014

Muslim or Christian? Why I Follow Jesus.

Why I Am Not A Muslim

The events in the Middle East have thrust on the world stage the age old contrast between Islam and Christianity. Of the great religions of the world the three that attract the most attention are Judaism, Islam and Christianity. Of the three two (Islam and Christianity) have at their core the same desire; to take over the world. To say it in a less antagonistic way, they both desire to see people follow their deeply held faith and enjoy the rewards of following their respective Gods. I am a Christian, but why am I not Muslim. Let me explain.

It's not because they pray five times a day. There is something to say about followers who will commit themselves to daily prayers, stop what they are doing, and without shame bow before their God.

It's not because they fast for a whole month. Fasting is a healthy way to focus your attention on the tenants of your faith and remember why you believe in the first place. 

It's not because they give money to the poor. Those who are blessed should always give out of compassion to the less fortunate. It is noble and worth while.

It's not because they make the Haj to Mecca. There is a sense of wonder when you travel to the roots of your faith and join multitudes in corporate worship.

It's not because because they openly declare that there is no god but Allah and his prophet Mohammed. Knowing the basic rennet of your faith is important and repeating it often solidifies it in your own mind and shows others of your commitment to your faith.

It's not because women are asked or required to cover their head. For Muslims it is an act of obedience and purity and who wouldn't want to protect the purity of their girls in an overly sexual world.

It's not because they won't eat certain foods or prohibit eating meat that isn't halal. Dietary restriction in religions is common and hold deep religious meaning for those who practice.

Its not because of the violence done in the name of their god. Other religions, Christianity included, have perpetrated atrocities in the name of god. The vast majority of Muslims, and the ones I know personally, want to live in peace.

In fact I admire the deep faith and commitment of my Muslim friends, so why am I a Christian and not a Muslim?

Jesus said “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” 

Jesus said, "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

The prophet John the Baptist said of Jesus, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"

Jesus said, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."

Muslims, Buddhists, and Jews will acknowledge that Jesus was a great man and even a prophet. But Jesus said he was more then another mouth piece of God, he was the sacrificial lamb of God, through whom God's justice and mercy were displayed. 

I am a Christian because Jesus is the only person who can save me from my sin and make me acceptable to God.

 I am a Christian because my efforts are not enough to secure my place in paradise, and through faith in Jesus' sacrificial death and resurrection I can obtain eternal life. 

I am a Christian because Jesus demonstrated God's love in a real and tangible way, displaying his love in power.
 
I am a Christian because Jesus offers the only real hope for mankind, not through ritual, but through the transformation of the mind and heart. 

It's not that I am not a Muslim, or follower of Mohamed.

It's that I am a follower of Jesus, and he is the only way to receive God's redemption. I'm just saying...



No comments:

Post a Comment