Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Flash In The Pan



In the third grade I begged for a guitar.  I was tired of practicing the piano and just knew if I had a guitar I would become the next Jimmy Hendrix.  When my birthday came around the wrapped package was obviously a guitar.  I tore into the gift with unrestrained enthusiasm.  I was proud of that guitar.  I strapped it my shoulder and walked around strumming the strings. I even pretended to make chords and sang on the spot melodies.  Something, however, quickly became evident; I didn’t know how to play the guitar.  My passion for the guitar quickly faded with the reality that I would have to work hard to become proficient.

I have been thinking about passion because I read an author who said the church needs a renewed passion for Jesus.  Passion is an intense emotion, compelling feeling, enthusiasm, and desire for something.  Most often it is associated with sexuality.  In fact when you look in the Bible all the passages that use the word passion have negative sexual connotations.  When we think of passion in that sense we realize that it is short lived.  Yes it is intense, but it doesn’t last and it is self-centered. 
Zeal is another word used in the New Testament.  It is a word that conveys a strong affection toward, an ardent devotion to, to desire earnestly, and aspire eagerly after.  To be zealous is to be fervent for and jealous of what is yours.  Jesus was zealous for His Father’s house.  The Jews were zealous for God (but without knowledge).  Paul was zealous in persecuting the church, and the Corinthian’s were zealous in their giving to Paul’s ministry.  Attached to zeal is action that accomplishes something.
Yet, even Zeal has to have a positive direction.  Paul counted everything, even his zeal, as loss compared to knowing Jesus.  In Philippians Paul uses words like press on, take hold, and forgetting.  In Psalm 69:32 we are told to seek God and let our hearts be revived.  And we are to be diligent to preserve the unity, present for approval as unashamed workman, to enter Christ’s rest, make certain our calling, and be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless.

Passion is Great, its intense and makes everyone feel good, but it is short lived.  That’s why we are constantly calling people to a renewed passion.  Camping in the Blue Ridge Mountains we found ourselves cold and wet.  The rain had turned to a drizzle and we were trying to get a fire going.  Fortunately I had packed a bag of birch bark.  It lights quickly and burns with intense heat, but by itself it was useless to sustain a fire.  We had to go from tree to tree and find twigs that were sheltered from the rain.  Ordering the twigs to maximize airflow I lit the birch bark and the intense heat caught the twigs on fire, but the flame would quickly die out if it wasn’t fanned, and the fire wouldn’t last if we didn’t add more twigs and finally larger pieces of wood.  Paul reminded Timothy of his mother's and grandmother's faith and prayers that grounded him in his faith, but Timothy’s passion couldn’t sustain him, and Paul told him:  “For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.” 


Passion gets it started, Zeal keeps it moving, but it is the pressing on, taking hold, and being diligent that will sustain our faith in Christ.  We need less birch bark and more kindling.  I’m just saying…

No comments:

Post a Comment