Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Frustrated Waiter

I am not a waiter, at least not the kind who works for tips. I am a waiter in lines, traffic, for appointments, on my wife, and a sundry other long and arduous situations. The key to a good waiter is patience, of which I have little. I am a last minute want it now kind of guy. I like fast food and fast cars. I can tell when my patience is running thin. My concentration wanes, I have a hard time focusing, my legs get antsy, and a feeling of angst ripples through my body. In fact, I have that feeling right now, because, well, I am waiting.

One of the fruits of the Spirit is patience, and though it is an attractive fruit it often tastes bitter when something or someone has kept me waiting. Patience is difficult. We are to be patient in suffering, parptient for the Lord's return, patient with sinners, patient with children, and patient with one another. Ahhhhh, all this patience. 

Yet, there is reward for those who wait patiently. God's patient kindness leads me to repentance. Eternal life comes to those who are patient in doing good and seek God's glory and immortality. Our future inheritance comes through patient hope. God endured patiently on me, withholding His wrath, bringing about my salvation. I am a perfect example of God's enduring patience.

Therefore, I must learn patience, which only comes through being exposed to situations where my patience is tried. In seeking patience I learn to trust in God's goodness, providence, and sovereignty. In finding patience I will learn contentment and peace.

I have to go, the guy behind me is honking his horn. Sheesh! Be patient!   I'm just saying.....

No comments:

Post a Comment