Thursday, July 25, 2013

Paintball – Running With Endurance

I have to say that after five years of not playing Paintball it is as much fun as I remembered.  My son’s David and Joshua (Steve couldn’t make it) joined me at Challenge Park for a rousing day of Paintball.  We wore our Jerseys’, rented our markers, donned our masks and made our way to the first field of battle.  We weren’t sure how many people would show up, but each game consisted of 20 against 20, and most of the players were under 16.  I’m not sure that gave us an advantage.

Armageddon was the first ‘map’ (a gaming term for course) we played.  The signal was given and the three of us headed down the field markers blazing.  By the time the 6 minutes was up, I was bent over and panting.  Yes, I had eliminated a few of my foes, but at a great physical cost.  We switched sides, engaged again, and when it was over I needed water. 

Running, crouching, crawling, shooting, shouting, and getting shot were all in a day’s fun.  After 12 games, 6 hours, and 2000 paintballs we were finished for the day; and I mean finished.  Every muscle in my body hurts.  I have a deep red welt on my right thigh, and I have a slight headache from dehydration.  IT WAS AWESOME! 

I learned two things from that day of Paintball:  1) I still love the game; and 2) I am out of shape.  I have been doing more walking lately and some calisthenics, but paintball uses different muscle and stamina; of which I have neither.  The children around me didn’t seem bothered by the heat or the exertion; youth definitely has its advantage.  But so does age.  My boys and I had experience, and when it came to the game that won out over youth.  We were able to direct our team and get them to work together (as much as they would let us).  When they followed our lead we did better, when they didn’t it didn’t work as well.

As an older Christian I have to say that I don’t have the stamina that my younger brother and sisters in Christ possess.  They seem to get things done, their enthusiasm is contagious, and the Love for the Lord compelling.  Sometimes it’s all I can do to keep up anymore.  I need them to push me a little further, to remind me of why I love the game (my faith).  What I offer them is perspective, experience, and a larger picture of life.  I know how to play the long game.  Rushing the enemy may be exhilarating, but patient persistence will win the day.

It may be another year before I get to play Paintball again.  I will probably be moving a little slower (though I may just pick up the pace of my walks), and the participants will seem even younger, but I hope I never lose the love for the game.

As a believer I know that God is at work in the long game, and I pray that he will give me the stamina to finish well, welts and all. In the end IT”S AWESOME!


No comments:

Post a Comment