Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween!!!!


            Tonight is All Hallows’ Eve, a day that has its roots in European harvest festivals and festivals of the dead, particularly the Celtic Samhin.  It proceeds November 1st, the day that Catholics have traditionally celebrated All Saints Day.  Lutherans, and some Reformed church communities celebrate Reformation Day on October 31st.  Martin Luther wrote the Archbishop of Mainz protesting the sale of indulgences on this day.  As good Americans, who like to be eclectic, we have adopted a smattering of it all. 

            Those who like to be edgy and horrific dress up as scary goblins and witches; the more refined dress their children in fairy costumes and fire fighters; and Christians, the more conservative kind, dress up as bible characters, and for what purpose? For the majority of the people in the United States it is just to have fun.  It is an excuse to go begging from your friends and neighbors, for candy you would never dream of buying your children all year long.

            Parents are a little more cautious these days, taking their children to neighborhoods they believe to be safe.  Some parents only take their children to people they actually know.  Gone are the days you could send your children down the street by themselves.  Even in my day hospitals were offering free x-rays to deter unsavory criminals who would lace apples with razor blades.

            It’s all good fun, right?  When my wife and I had our first son, I dressed as a lion tamer with my lioness and lion cub in tow, RRRRR.  As the years passed we became wearier of the emphasis on evil and decided to forego the festivities of “darkness” J for tamer fun at Chucky Cheese.  The kids still had fun and we didn’t have to wrestle with our conscience.  Our children haven’t been diminished, to say the least. 

            Should Christians participate in Halloween?  It is a matter of conscience.  This year we have told some friends we will be handing out candy to the neighborhood ghouls, so they should stop by.  We even have carved pumpkins on the front porch.  I’m still leery of the whole Halloween fun with evil, horror, fear, and demonic thing.  I also wrestle with the guilt by association argument. 

            So, this year, instead of sitting in the darkness, worrying if anyone will knock at my door, we have decided to lighten up and hand out candy.  I know that the demonic exists, whether I hand out candy or not.  I know that I have been delivered from the realm of darkness and have been brought into the kingdom of light, whether I hand out candy or not.  I know that if I quietly pray for each child that comes to the door, Satan trembles, for Christ is victorious. 

            Tonight I am not celebrating Halloween, All Hallows’ Eve, Reformation Day, All Saints Day, Fall Festivals, or Festivals for the dead.  I’m just going to hand out some candy.  I’m just saying…

No comments:

Post a Comment