Tuesday, June 12, 2012

So Now You Have A Doctorate!


     1,036,800 minutes of intense study, 518,400 minutes of research and writing, 60 minutes of grueling defense, and 5 minutes to deliberate and accept me into the doctoral club.  Now what?  That’s the question that has been posed to me, and one that I have asked myself.  Most people pursue an academic degree to further their career or increase their income.  For me, as a pastor, it doesn’t achieve either of those goals. 

     I enjoyed the academic rigor, the intellectual stimulation, the challenge to accomplish something difficult, and the joy of having reached that goal.  But I have to say, as with every adrenaline rush, there is a crash. Of course the return home from my on campus defense was met with a flurry of activity as we prepared for an outreach event at church, which was a tremendous success. 

     A friend of mine from college posted a song by Karen Carpenter that said it all, “Rainy days and Monday’s always get me down.”  Monday, yesterday, was my crash; I probably listened to that song five times.  There was an empty feeling that was, at times, overwhelming.  It was as if all that I have to show for my effort is a peace of paper (and I don’t even have that yet). 

     God did not create me to stand still.  I am constantly looking to the horizon, looking for that next adventure, the next challenge, and the next adrenaline rush.  I am slowly motivated.  That means it takes me a while to get going, but when I do I am focused, and even driven at times.  There is so much to be done, so much to accomplish, so many lives to impact, and such a small window of opportunity.
“I know the plans I have for you,” God said, “plans for hope and a future.”  As believers we should always be forward thinking.  The past gives shape to our lives, it reminds us of God’s faithfulness, but it is still the past.  If we remain there, glorying in the things once done, then the future will be lost, and our present wishful thinking.  It reminds me of the Star Trek Nexus; a place where time stands still and all of yesterday’s dreams are played over and over again.  It might feel good, but it isn’t real.

     I don’t know how God will use my newly earned degree.  But I do know that I can’t stand still.  I know the gospel needs to be preached.  I know that people need to be led.  I know that a new generation of leaders needs to be developed.  I’m just saying…..

No comments:

Post a Comment