Monday, February 27, 2012

Curtains!


I have had about enough of curtains.  It is amazing how many windows there are in the house we just moved into, but that isn’t the half of it.  We have bought, hung, disliked, returned, bought, hung, disliked, and returned more curtains then I would want to admit to (I just did).  Rebecca asks me what I think and I now respond, “They look fantastic honey.”  Some curtains were too bold, one set reminded us of Joseph’s coat of many colors (yuck), some were to short, and others, well we couldn’t quiet express why, but we just knew they weren’t right.  Yet, curtains are important.

We both agree that we need curtains; it’s the aesthetics that are in question.  The curtains in our bedroom are heavy and keep the light out.  That pesky sun doesn’t wake me up anymore.  The ones in the living room are light, airy, and inviting.  The curtains in the dinning are elegant.  As you can tell I watch way too much HGTV.  Curtains, however, aren’t just about my house.  We have expressions about them, as well.

“It’s curtains for you” comes from the theatre.  When the curtain closes or falls, the play is finished. The expression above could be used to refer to the end of an event, or even a threat against you life.  “It’s curtains for you, buddy.” 

In the bible THE CURTAIN was the one hung in the Holy of Holies.  The Hebrew word for curtain is an unusual word, and is often translated veil.  Another Hebrew word translated curtain refers to the opening of a tent, which is appropriate for the tabernacle since it was originally a tent.  The later Temple kept the inner curtains.  The curtain was to signify God’s Holiness, His separation from sinful man.  Going beyond the curtain and into his presence was allowed once a year, by the high priest, for the purpose of atonement.  It was a constant reminder of how far man had fallen from paradise. 

Jesus’ death was the atonement for sin.  When he cried, “It is finished,” the curtain fell, or ripped from top to bottom.  It was an illustration of God’s removing the separation of sin between Him and us.  The barrier was removed and in the darkness a great light shines.  We can now come to God, through Christ, in the light, and with the assurance that judgment has been met. 

I am looking forward to having all my curtains put up, but there is one curtain that I am glad will never be rehung, it has been taken down and returned forever.  I’m just saying….

No comments:

Post a Comment