Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Why I Am A Christian: It Just Makes Sense


I stared a long time at the mathematical equation.  I don’t care how long I poured over the symbols I was never going to understand what they meant and how the outcome was achieved.  It’s not that I am ignorant or unintelligent; it’s just that I don’t have basic information; a grasp of simpler formulas; a foundation that will lead me to the truth.
Understanding is a difficult concept to grasp.  Different people can look at the same set of facts and come to greatly different conclusions.  And people who have great intellect can still miss understand simple truths.  So, I am not under any delusion that just because something makes sense to me that everyone will come to the same conclusions.
It just makes sense to me that when you look at the universe, both meta and micro, that its complexity, diversity, creativity, and order points to an intelligence that designed and set it into motion.
It just makes sense to me that a creator with such infinite capabilities would want those who he has created to get to know him.
It just makes sense to me that a creator who loves his creation would give them the freedom to follow or not to follow.
I just makes sense to me that at some point there would be those who would chose not to follow.
It just makes sense to me that there are consequences for those decisions.
It just makes sense to me that as he made himself known to his creation that what he had said would be muddled, perverted, confused, and misused by generations of people who had not sought after him.
It just makes sense to me that a creator how loves his creation would want them to have a correct view of him and provide a way for that to occur.
It just makes sense to me that a creator who loves his creation would provide a way for those who have turned their back on Him to return and not suffer the consequences of their choices.
It just makes sense to me that this plan would have a singular path.
It just makes sense that out of all the options in the world that the path is through Jesus. For in Jesus man is set free from the bonds of sin and death.  In Jesus man no longer has to strive for God’s acceptance because in Christ he is accepted. In Jesus man is able to see the creator who has become man in order to relate to His creation.  In Jesus there is life, hope, and a future.  In Jesus the fullness of meaning and creation come together.
So why, if this makes sense to me (and to other Christians) do not all people come to faith?  I was visiting my mother-in-law the other who is beginning to suffer the advance stages of dementia.  On the end table next to her chair was a word puzzle book.  She had done these many times and for many years.  She sat there staring at the words and said, “What am I suppose to do with this, it doesn’t make sense.” Like the advancing dementia of my mother-in-law, sin has darkened the minds of sinful man.  Even the most intellectual among us cannot escape its debilitating effects.  The darkness blinds the eyes of the world so that when they look at creation they say, “Who am I, why am I here, it doesn’t make any sense.” 
Unlike my mother-in-law who will not regain her capacity to understand, the world is not left without hope.  By stepping out in faith, believing in Jesus, and accepting the reality of God’s presence, love, and forgiveness their eyes will see the light and their minds will understand.  It will all make sense.  I’m just saying…..


No comments:

Post a Comment