Thursday, February 10, 2011

Standing on the Right Side of the Wall

I don’t think I could be any colder if I were standing in a cooler full of dry ice. This frigid weather has put a damper on the beautiful snow that gently fell across the landscape. I guess gentle is too nice a word; it was a blizzard. But it looked so nice after Rebecca and I spent an hour and half digging out. Yesterday I walked outside and thought, “Hmmm, this isn’t too bad.” After standing by the car for a minute the minus one degree bore through my clothes and my body was being stored in a cryogenics tube.

My poor dog Tobi has it the worst. He thinks because it is warm inside that it’s time to go out and play. I put him out for a bathroom break and had to chisel him free before letting him in the door. I want to take him for a walk but I don’t want his little pads to get freezer burn, and he refuses to wear those little socks I bought him. Teens what are you to do with them.

Stepping outside I run to my Jeep (it moans when I try to start it), shiver all the way to the church and finally make it to the semi-warmth of my office. It just won’t warm up if it is less than 15 degrees outside. So I wear two shirts, a sweater, and a light jacket---and I am still cold. A friend stopped in and I asked him if he was keeping warm. He said, “yep, I’ve been standing on the right side of the wall today.” That got me thinking.

Life is a lot like cold weather. It starts off refreshing, the snow looks pretty, but after a long winter you wished you lived somewhere else. Life can get tough and the joy of marriage, the enthusiasm of children, the adventure of a new career starts to wear thin after the years go by. We start to think that it might have been better to live somewhere else, pack it in, run away, or just give up. And when you’ve lived in the cold for too long you wonder whether you will ever warm up; if things will ever get better. That’s when you have to stand on the right side of the wall.

Psa. 107:10, 14 There were those who dwelt in darkness [Cold] and in the shadow of death, prisoners in misery and chains... He brought them

When we walk with Christ we are standing on the right side of the wall. He gives us hope because He is our hope. The difficulties that we face are not ours alone and Jesus gives us the strength to endure and the tools to bring healing---He brings healing. There have been tim

I’m just saying…….

No comments:

Post a Comment