Monday, April 19, 2010

Starting A Revolution

Frogs in slow boiling water always die. They rarely realize that death is happening and kind of feel good about it until it is too late. In the economic and political climate of today many are beginning to wake up to the slow boiling pot. The ever-increasing taxation and intrusion of our government has riled up a segment of American culture who are speaking out and calling for change. Both democratic and republican politicians have been to blame. They have their own causes, their own ideals, and they are willing to sacrifice the freedoms and liberties that Americans have enjoyed for over 200 years to accomplish their own agendas.

When I work twice as hard to make half as much because the government has their hands in my pocket something is wrong. Only one hand fits in my pocket at a time and when I reach in and find it empty I know that Uncle Sam has already been there and I feel violated. There has been a lot of discussion about gas prices, the home mortgage crisis, the cost of goods and services, etc. Gas prices are high because of taxes, I can’t afford my home because half my mortgage each month goes to taxes, I can’t go out and purchase items because retail taxes go up to pay for professional sports stadiums and other projects to “boost” the economy (of course I can’t afford to go to the games).

John Lenin (of the Beatles for those whose music history is limited) wrote, “Revolution ------ we all want to change the world”. I am on the verge of starting my own revolution. Revolutions seem to begin when people feel disenfranchised by those who are in power. And when those disenfranchised feel that peaceful demonstration or political activism falls on deaf ears they revolt. Revolts can take on different forms. They can be passive, “I won’t do that,” or they are active, “I will force you to change”. However, I have a dilemma.

The Scriptures say, “Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God…for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil” (Romans 14:1ff, NASB 2005).

The Apostle Paul was talking about a highly repressive Roman government. There was no individual freedom, especially for non-Roman citizens. So, how does this apply today? And how does it apply to a government that espouses public participation and even encourages revolution when the laws of the country no longer exist for the public good? And how do you determine which laws have been established for the good of the people and which are imposed on the people for political purposes? Do you see my dilemma?

All I know is that the water is a little warmer than I want it to be and if I am not careful I am going to boil to death while I enjoy its illusory comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment